Oh, January. That wonderful time of year where we all get to pretend that we’re going to stick to our diets, save thousands of pounds, and workout for more than five minutes a week. I love January, because it makes me feel like I can achieve everything I’ve ever wanted, like I’m a super hero who can save the world and successfully fill-in a passport application.
And, I also love that I can forget that last year I ate more chocolate than Augustus Gloop on a bad day, spent too much money on things I didn’t need, and exercised for a total of one hour. It’s a new year, guys, shed the skin of your greedy, failure of a self, and move the fuck on.
To convince myself that I’ll do better this year, I’ve made a gigantic list of goals. There are 25 in total, which probably seems a bit extreme, but a lot of them are just little tasks/fun things that I’d like to do. The list is split into the four main areas of my life which I’d like to work on, plus a few additional goals which didn’t fit into any of the categories.
This year, I plan to make my website more “professional”. That doesn’t mean censoring what I say (which is probably pretty obvious from the use of the “f” word above), but taking better pictures and improving the quality of my posts. In relation to this, I also want to code a new layout, which is a bit more personal, but also clean and functional. I also want to blog more regularly, with a reasonably strict schedule. I’ve never been one to make a schedule for blogging, but, after trying it out recently, I’ve realised that having a plan makes it way easier for me to write a post. Here’s a break down of my specific goals:
1. Blog 70 times.
2. Code and design a new layout.
3. Improve my photography skills.
4. Sort out my post categories (these are such a mess right now).
5. Look through and clean-up previous posts, by adding photos and proof checking.
6. Sort out all of my pages.
7. Make monthly content plans and stick to them.
I want to spend more time creating things this year. I’d like to take some time away from social media, and write and draw like I used to do when I was a teenager. Here are some goals to motivate me to do that:
8. Write a full, decent draft of a novel.
9. Succeed at NaNoWriMo or Camp NaNoWrimo (one month, 50,000 words).
10. Improve my Photoshop skills.
11. Create a new cosplay.
12. Write a script.
13. Do something art-related at least once every two weeks (e.g. draw, paint, make jewellery).
Clearing Out the Clutter
I have so much stuff I don’t need, and this house so full. In 2017 I hope to:
14. Clear out my wardrobe. I wear less than half of the clothes in there and we really need the space.
15. Sort out all the stuff at my parent’s house.
16. Sort through my jewellery box, because there’s way too much in there.
17. Sort out DVDs, books and comics.
Health, Fitness and Well-being
Hi, I’m Amy. I never remove my make-up, don’t know a press-up from my left elbow, and sometimes eat an entire packet of Twirl bites in my sleep. (I wake up and find the empty packet on my bedside table. It’s sad and confusing.) But, unfortunately, this lifestyle is not good for my body, my skin, or my health, so I’m hoping I can get this sorted this year. Here are my goals:
18. Do one hour of exercise per week. I know this seems small, but I struggle to find the time/motivation to exercise at all.
19. Fit into my old clothes. I’ve put on two stone over the past couple of years, so I’d really like to get back in shape. And fit back into the best dress I’ve ever owned. I can currently only get one boob in there.
20. Eat less chocolate. I’d like to cut down to less than 3 single bars a week (or the equivalent in non-bar shaped things).
21. Take better care of my skin by removing my make-up before bed and developing a skincare routine.
Here are the goals which don’t fit into my four main categories.
22. Learn to play a song on the keyboard.
23. Save £4000 towards a mortgage.
24. Get a passport.
25. Go shopping somewhere other than Leeds/Bradford. Because I love Manchester, Sheffield and York, and train journeys are fun!
Hopefully I manage to achieve most/all of these things. I do have a whole year after all.
Oh no. A whole year? Of eating healthily? Of exercising every week? Of saving money?
What have I gotten myself into?!
To keep myself motivated, I’ll be posting regular goal updates on the blog, setting specific times and dates for certain goals, and staringly longingly at the dress that no longer fits me.
What are your goals for this year?