As it’s almost the middle of the year I thought it would be nice to write a post listing the things I’ve learned this year. Because, even though we’re only six months in, 2018 has been quite a year. I’ve made friends, lost friends, had an engagement party almost ruined by snow and found out my eyes are not as amazing as I thought they were. I’ve barely blogged about anything that’s happened, so this is a good way for me to catch you all up without writing a long and boring post about every single thing that’s happened.
As always, some of these are serious, important life lessons, while others are absolutely ridiculous. Enjoy!
1. Listening to On a Mission by Katy B on repeat and crying is not a productive way to get over a friendship ending.
2. Good friends send you caring messages when you’re feeling down. Best friends send you weird GIFs on messenger.
3. It’s actually possible to WIN money at a casino. I won £5 and felt like a queen for the entire evening.
4. Blood tests aren’t as bad as you think they are, and debating with the nurse about when to put the needle in is not a productive use of anyone’s time.
5. I shouldn’t be allowed to write numbered lists because I almost always miss a number out. Georgie caught me out on one, and I found another while I was browsing through my old posts. Oops!
6. Don’t meditate for the first time by the side of your fiancé without telling him what the hell you are doing. Closing your eyes for eight minutes and doing nothing looks pretty weird, and he may think you’ve been possessed.
7. Try not to get possessed with the Calm app open, or your fiancé might just think you’re meditating.
8. Dairy-free chocolate is actually pretty nice.
9. You need lots of upper body strength to get anywhere on a high ropes course. If not you just end up swinging on a rope thirty centimetres from the floor and looking like an idiot.
10. It’s impossible to not dance to Survivor, no matter how faint and ill you’re feeling.
11. It’s impossible to give up chocolate when you have a house full of it.
12. If you think your dentist has done your fillings wrong, complain, or you’ll end up stuck with half a filling for months.
13. Glasses cost lots of money, especially if you buy three pairs for no reason.
14. You can get anything done if you’re willing to make time for it.
15. Aubergines are really easy to cook and don’t look anything like male genitalia (emojis are wrong).
16. Snow is evil and doesn’t care whether it’s mid-March and you’re having an engagement party.
17. Sometimes, people you love will let you down. Try not to let it get to you.
18. Friends come and go, but The Witcher is forever.
19. K-Pop is the best thing ever.
20. Darth Vader is quite good at playing the keyboard.
21. It’s incredibly difficult to think of 21 things you’ve learned. Lower your expectations and blogging will be a little bit easier.
What have you learned this year?