Hi, I’m Amy. Even though I’ve been writing on here for almost ten years, and have probably said everything there is to say about myself, I thought it would be fun to do a “facts about me” post. I started writing this post last April, but for some reason it’s been sitting in my drafts unfinished for almost a year. Yes, I’m unorganised. Yes, I start lots of posts and never finish them. And yes, that’s an extra two facts you’re getting for free.
Anyway, here are my 25 facts. Hope you enjoy reading them!
1. I’m allergic to cats, which means I can’t stay at your house if you have cats, no matter how many times you vacuum the carpet or the cats. I’m not sure how likely I’d be to stop breathing, but I’ve been very ill a few times after spending too long with furry felines.
2. I didn’t have my first boyfriend until I was 18, which made me convinced that I would die alone surrounded by hairless cats (see fact number one).
3. I have A-Levels/BTECs in dance and drama, which some people find odd because I’m so quiet. I used to do a lot of school plays and spent most of my evenings either dancing or rehearsing, and I even sang solo on stage a few times. I wasn’t great though!
4. I know how to say ‘I would like a window’ in French. This is all I remember from my primary school French lessons. So, if you’re ever in Paris and fancy a window I’m your girl.
5. I once went to an Amanda Palmer gig where she came into the audience to dance with everyone. I got to dance with her, she hugged me, then threw me backwards to sing in my face. It was one of the best nights of my life and I wish someone had filmed it.
6. I don’t eat meat very often. I only like ham, bacon, pepperoni and occasionally burgers, but I prefer vegetarian meals. Most of my meals involve Quorn and I usually go for vegetarian options if I’m eating out.
7. I won two awards at university, one for writing a cool essay on Tennyson and the other for creative writing. For the first one, I had to do a presentation at a seminar, where I talked in detail about my essay. Unfortunately, my essay mentioned sex and penises. A lot. Sorry, Mum!
8. I don’t have a middle name, because my mum wanted me to be able to fill-in forms at superhuman speeds. Unfortunately, this means I’ll also never be able to get a website with my name as the URL, but at least I’m a form-filling-in champion.
9. To get into my high school I did a really cheesy dance to Holly Valance’s Kiss Kiss wearing a sparkly cropped vest that my mum made me and shiny leggings. I hope that no one has any video evidence of this mortifying life event.
10. When I was 10, I wanted to become an actress, which is why I chose to go to a school that specialised in performing arts, even though the rest of the teaching was terrible.
11. I’ve never been on a plane.
12. I really want to visit Japan someday, but it’s such a long flight, and such a lot of money. I’d love to go to a Pokemon Center, visit the deer park and eat all the Japanese sweets.
13. I have one sibling, my “little” sister Lucy. She’s 23, taller than me, and wants to run away with the circus. When we were younger everyone thought we were twins, even though I don’t think we look that alike. I blame my mum for dressing us the same!
14. When I was seventeen I worked at a small festival in a coffee shop, which mainly involved serving coffee and cake to very drunk people, and dancing in the woods when my shift was over. I spent the week washing with baby wipes and using so much dry shampoo my hair felt like it was made of powder. 100% would not recommend.
15. My favourite pizza is pepperoni and pineapple. Yes, I’m pro pineapple. #SorryNotSorry
16. I started drinking black tea after working at a festival (see fact fourteen), because I wasn’t willing to fight 6000 wasps to get some milk. Every morning the milk jugs would be surrounded by the terrifying creatures, which made black tea seem incredibly appealing. As it turned out, I preferred it to the milky tea I’d been having for years.
17. I overcook everything because food tastes better when it’s overcooked. Pizza should be crunchy, pasta should be mushy and, yes, all burgers should look like charcoal.
18. I used to be so terrified of the dentist that they had to refer me to a special dentist, where they x-rayed you in a machine instead of using those painful stick things, and where you had multiple nurses with you to keep you calm. I was seventeen at the time. I’m okay now, except when they give me fillings or spray water in my mouth or make me hold open my mouth for too long. Yeah, I still hate the dentist.
19. I can touch my nose with my tongue.
20. Before I got my current job, I spent four years working in retail. During which time I got yelled at, called stupid for not giving a man a free newspaper and had a woman try to throw her coffee at me then threaten to attack me after my shift. I still really enjoyed working in retail though, but I was so glad to get out.
21. My top ten music artists are Amanda Palmer, Emilie Autumn, P!nk, Eminem, The Dresden Dolls, Katzenjammer, In This Moment, Sia, System of a Down/Serj Tankian and Regina Spektor. This was a hard list to write. Can I add Hollywood Undead, REOL, Delain, Marina and the Diamonds and Within Temptation too, please?
22. I also really like N-Dubz, but please don’t hold that against me until you’ve bought all of their albums and spent an entire evening dancing to their greatest hits. They’re so catchy.
23. I almost ended up doing art at university, until I realised how terrible I was at drawing and decided to be sensible. Sometimes I wish I’d given it a go, but then I wouldn’t have the amazing job I have today. And I’d probably still be unable to draw hands properly.
24. I’m really terrible at drawing hands.
25. I find it really hard to finish things I write, which probably explains the ridiculous amount of drafts I have on here, and why I’m yet to finish writing a novel. I’m always wanting to start something new, because I have so many ideas I want to try!
So that’s it. 25 facts about a wasp-fearing, pineapple-eating blogger, who spends the majority of her time hiding from cats and rapping to N-Dubz songs. I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it. It was so much fun (and quite challenging) to think of twenty-five relatively interesting things to say about myself.
Let me know some weird and/or interesting facts about you in the comments below!