Last year I wrote a very silly post about how I was nearly 22 and still lived with my parents and ate crispy M&Ms for breakfast. Only half of that is still true now. Part of me would love to say that it’s the latter half, but chocolate breakfasts are just too hard for me to resist.
A lot has changed over the past year: I now have a new job, new flat and a Master’s degree. I’m also generally happier, despite the minor challenges the life has thrown at me recently. Yesterday I turned 23, and there’s a few things I’d like to achieve by next year. So here are my goals for this year, hopefully I’ll achieve at least some of them.
1. Use my car again. Last year I had a minor bump, and I lost my confidence and stopped driving. But now I work miles away from where I live, so it makes sense to re-insure the car. A 20 minute walk in the rain on a morning is never fun.
2. Write the first draft of a novel. This has been a resolution for the past four years and I’ve never done it yet. I always try, but end up getting distracted by life or other ideas.
3. Go a full month without chocolate. And this goal includes chocolate rice cakes, chocolate muffins and chocolate cake, which I always cheat with. But look what my sister got me for my birthday:
How is this even possible?
4. Succeed at NaNoWriMo. 50,000 words, one month. I can do this!
5. Get a passport.
6. Learn to play a new song on the keyboard.
7. Read 50 books. I’ve read less than 10 books this year, probably due to working full-time whilst doing my Master’s, and I really miss reading.
8. Make a Sally Jupiter costume for Comic Con.
9. Complete a video game, not including Pokemon.
10. Hold a giveaway on the blog. I’ve always wanted to do one!
11. Enhance my Photoshopping skills by making stupid things.
12. Vlog. If I dare.
13. Make necklaces for my friends.
14. Keep this blog going. Post at least once every two weeks (I’d say a week but life sometimes doesn’t work that way).
15. Write a play/script. I’ve always wanted to write one, but haven’t had the time. Hopefully this year!
16. Sort out the files on my laptop. I recently put everything from all my old laptops/computers on here and it’s a bit of a mess at the moment.
17. Sort out my email account. I currently have thousands of unread emails, because I get a lot of emails advertising boring stuff. They need to go!
18. Go to Xscape. If you don’t know, Xscape is a leisure complex where you can go skiing indoors, and do other fun activities like climbing and trampolining. It’s not far from where I live, but I’ve never been and I’d love to.
19. Go a week without buying things at work. I apparently can’t live without my morning chocolate twist and hot chocolate, and at £3 per day that’s a lot of money to be spending on something I don’t really need.
20. Learn to code. I have very basic coding skills – I can code a WordPress layout from scratch, but it looks horrific (this is a pre-made layout, I’m not responsible for coding this). By next year I’d like to be able to code something decent. Or at least decent-ish. 🙂
21. Use the ‘642 Things to Write’ book I bought myself last year.
22. Go somewhere outside of the UK.
23. Put all the “special” bits and pieces I’ve saved into my scrap book.
24. Finish sorting my stuff out at my parent’s house.
There’ll be a post tomorrow about Halloween and my birthday, which have been amazing so far!
What are your goals for this year?