Did you know that sometimes you can blink too hard and end up in August without realising? Do you remember me saying I was going to review my 2017 goals every quarter to make sure I stayed on track with them? Do you realise that 12 divided by 4 is not 8?
Yeah, me too.
Somehow, 2017 has completely gotten away from me, and I’ve barely had time to stop and think about how I’m doing and what’s been going on. It all started really well, with January involving me making tonnes of progress, focussing on my goals, and planning out what I was going to do with my year, but I’ve since got lost in the busyness of life and completely forgotten half the stuff I planned.
Because of this, and because we’re over half way through 2017, I thought I’d take stock of what’s happened so far and review the resolutions I made in January. So let’s take a look at 2017… *roll credits*
Things That Have Happened So Far
- Got asked to be a bridesmaid at my friend’s wedding.
- Danced on stage with Kate Nash.
- Went to MCM Liverpool Comic Con and ended up in the Liverpool Echo.
- Made sushi for the first time.
- Went to my friend’s engagement party, where Andy got ridiculously drunk.
- Celebrated Andy’s 26th Birthday with a meal at our favourite Italian.
- Spent seven days in Scotland with some lovely friends.
- Went to Hyper Japan festival for the first time.
- Met up with Holly and Pauline in Manchester.
- Took my mum to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford.
- Saw an amazing production of Jane Eyre at The Grand in Leeds.
- Lost over a stone by changing my diet.
- Completed Batman: Arkham Knight after almost two years of owning the game.
Things I’ve Learned in 2017
- No matter what I try, exercise is never more appealing than watching three hours of Netflix.
- Dieting is hard. Especially when you feel like you deserve a pizza for being good all week.
- I’m rubbish at eating salads with chopsticks.
- You should always be thankful for friends.
- Meeting new people can be scary, but it can also be amazing.
- It costs a ridiculous amount of money to park in Edinburgh.
- I’m incapable of posing like a ninja.
- Log cabins are actually made of logs.
- Sewing leaves for eight hours straight is incredibly tiring.
- Ben Nevis is really hard to find because he just looks like all the other mountains.
Five Photos From 2017
Reviewing My Resolutions
In January, I made a very long list of goals for 2017, which I said I’d review a few times within the year to check my progress and make sure I didn’t completely forget about all of them.
The ones that are struck through are complete and the ones in bold are in progress.
1. Blog 70 times. (27/70)
2. Code and design a new layout.
3. Improve my photography skills.. As you might have seen on the blog and my Instagram page, I’ve been making an effort to take more photos whenever I do/see anything photo-worthy. I can see my skills slowly improving, but I still have a long way to go.
4. Sort out my post categories (these are such a mess right now). – I’ve planned a few titles for these by looking through my past posts, but they still need some work. Plus, implementing these is bound to be a pain!
5. Look through and clean-up previous posts, by adding photos and proof checking. – I’ve done a few of these, but I’ve still got hundreds left to do!
6. Sort out all of my pages.
7. Make monthly content plans and stick to them. – I’m testing this throughout this month, so only time will tell!
8. Write a full, decent draft of a novel. – Gradual progress is being made!
9. Succeed at NaNoWriMo or Camp NaNoWrimo (one month, 50,000 words).
10. Improve my Photoshop skills.
11. Create a new cosplay. – I made a new Poison Ivy costume for Liverpool Comic Con in March!
12. Write a script.
13. Do something art-related at least once every two weeks (e.g. draw, paint, make jewellery).
14. Clear out my wardrobe. I wear less than half of the clothes in there and we really need the space. – I’ve had one clear out, but I plan to have another before the end of the year, because I’m sure I can get rid of more!
15. Sort out all the stuff at my mum and dad’s house. – I’ve spent a lot of time at my mum and dad’s house recently, but I’m still nowhere near done! I have so much stored there!
16. Sort through my jewellery box, because there’s way too much in there. – I completed this in April and got rid of so much!
17. Sort out DVDs, books and comics. – Like the wardrobe, I’ve done this once, but I’m going to do it again later in the year.
18. Do one hour of exercise per week.
19. Fit into my old clothes. I’ve put on two stone over the past couple of years, so I’d really like to get back in shape. And fit back into the best dress I’ve ever owned. I can currently only get one boob in there. – Since January, I’ve lost a bit of weight (and re-gained a bit, but oh well) and can fit back into some of my old clothes. Still working on that fave dress though!
20. Eat less chocolate. I’d like to cut down to less than 3 single bars a week (or the equivalent in non-bar shaped things).
21. Take better care of my skin by removing my make-up before bed and developing a skincare routine.
22. Learn to play a song on the keyboard.
23. Save £4000 towards a mortgage. – Currently on £1900!
24. Get a passport.
25. Go shopping somewhere other than Leeds/Bradford. – I’ve been to York, Manchester and Edinburgh so far!
So far that’s 3 completed and 11 in progress, which means I still have a long way to go. Over the next few months, I’m going to try and get my diet back on track, save more money per month so I can get back on target, and blog more often because I’m a long way off 70 posts! I’m also going to set some time aside for some of my other goals, particularly the website and coding ones, as I really want to get those sorted!
2017 has been a fantastic year so far. I’ve had some amazing times, met some amazing people and seen some amazing things. I might not have crossed off many of my goals, but there’s still a few months left to crack on and make some real progress. Hopefully, I’ll be back in December with a completed list of goals and a brilliant list of things I’ve been doing!
How has your year been so far? How are you doing with your goals?